In this article, you will learn:
- What is it about?
- Who can use the External Content and Tools feature?
- What external platforms are available to be embedded with the External Content and Tools feature?
- How to add External Content and Tools to an agenda item?
- Guidance for the attendee side
- What are current limitations?
- How is the external content and tools feature handled in Sherpany?
External Content and Tools feature allows meeting organisers to include external web pages and tools in the meeting agenda item, resulting in a more unified meeting experience for meeting participants.
Only a Sherpany Pioneer user can add external content or tools to a meeting agenda item.
However, once added, all participants in the meeting will have access to the content or tools.
External Content and Tools feature is accessible through the web browser version of Sherpany, and native apps do not yet support it.
For security and usability reasons, we need to limit the usage to platforms that allow for embedding.
The following list includes examples of web content we allow using embedded.
Any other link can still be used, but it will open on a new tab, but not embedded.
|Platform||Domain for embedded link|
|Microsoft 365 for Business||http://*.sharepoint.com/|
As a Sherpany’s Pioneer, you can request new domains to be included in the whitelist through Sherpany Product Portal.
- Go to your meeting, edit the agenda item, and use the “Add Link” button to link to your external content.
- When prompted to add a link, a new window will appear with a text field where you can enter the desired link.
- Go to the website that you want to share. Look for the option to embed the link and copy it. This may be labeled as 'Embed Link' or 'Code'.
As an example, here's how you would embed a YouTube video:
1. Go to the YouTube video you want to share.
2. Click on the 'Share' button located under the video.
3. Click on the 'Embed' button that appears in the sharing options.
4. Copy the embed code that appears in the dialog box.
- Paste the embed code to add it to Sherpany, and see a preview. Write the title of the link you want to see in the meeting agenda item, then click "Add".
The use of external links is compatible with the use of the presenter mode, with the participants being positioned in the linked content when the presenter selected it. However, each participant has control over what happens inside each embedded item, as this is not a screen-sharing session.
The participants can comment on external links, but they cannot pinpoint it to a specific location inside the content, because it is dynamic.
How to open embedded content in a new tab:
To open the embedded content in a new tab, please click on the icon located in the top right corner of the screen, or, if the content rendering is not working, you can open the content in a separate browser tab by clicking the option "click here to open in a new tab".
How to maximise the embedded view:
To maximise the embedded view, you can click on the icon located in the bottom left corner. This will minimise the agenda and maximise the embedded object.
You can then return to the minimised view by again clicking the same icon. This will open the agenda and minimise the embedded object.
- Users must have access to that content from a browser outside of Sherpany, to be able to also render it inside Sherpany.
- It cannot work in offline mode.
- It is not possible to guarantee the content will remain unchanged over time.
- It is not possible to make annotations inside the content.
- It is not possible to pinpoint comments on specific points in the content.
- If the rendering of the content is not working, the user can always open the content in a separate browser tab.
- We are not yet supporting this on Native Apps.
- We have a whitelist of websites that can be embedded (see the list above), but we can add more by request if the effort makes sense.
The External Content and Tools feature is designed to be handled similarly to documents in Sherpany.
Users can link external content and tools in a similar way as they would upload a document, organize and list them in the meeting agenda in the same way as a meeting document, and render them in the meeting view in the same way as a meeting document.
Need more help?
If you need any further information on this subject, feel free to contact our Customer Happiness team.
+41 (0) 44 515 89 60 firstname.lastname@example.org